When I sat down to make these hats I wanted to make something simple to recreate but something that could easily be customized. These would make the perfect props for Holiday photos or simple handmade favors for a Holiday party!!
To make your own elf hat, you will need:
- Felt (green and red)
- a length of yarn the same height you want your hat
- jingle bells (I used red but any color will work)
- matching thread
- Sewing machine
How to sew your Felt Elf Hat Pattern
1. Cut between a quarter and a third of a circle out of the green felt (Use your yarn to measure the height you want your hat and to measure the circumference of the head. The circumference of the head will create the distance along the curved edge in the third photo below. Use a general circular shape, doesn’t have to be perfect.)
2. Cut a rectangular strip of red felt and position along round edge of green felt. Repeat until the entire round edge is lined in red (I used the sheets of craft felt for the red part and just cut the sheet in half vertically. I used three rectangles – a sheet and a half – for the small hat and five rectangles for the large hat.)
4. Trim the extra red felt hanging below the curve of the green felt
7. Cut triangular shapes into the red felt (You can be as even or haphazard as you want in this step. I tried to make mine random shapes and sizes.)
10. Flip right side and pop out the point of the hat
11. Sew jingle bells to the point in the hat
12. Check that all the red points look good, trim as needed
Each hat took about 20 minutes, from start to finish. They are perfect, easy projects. My daughter refuses to take hers off now!
Hope you enjoy making your own felt elf hats!!
If you liked our hats, be sure to check out some of our other Christmas projects, with more to come through December!