In my earlier post, I gave you the pieces to download for the free pattern to make your own undies. If you missed if, take a look here (Free Multi-size pattern to make your own undies) and download your two pattern pieces.
The pattern pieces are for the liner, and for the two ends of the piece you are going to cut. You need to lengthen the pattern to the correct size according to the table of sizes. In order to do this you simply have to add a plain piece of paper in between the two ends, tape into place, draw your lines and cut.
Here is how:
1. Get a measuring tape and measure around your hips to see what size you need. Measure your high hips near where the top of your hip bones are – where you might wear a pair of low-rise briefs.
Look at this chart to determine your likely size.
- Extra small – hips 32-34
- Small – 35-37
- Medium – 38-40
- Large – 41-43
2. Take your two pattern pieces and lay them side by side. Take a look at the top right for the total length you need your pattern to be.
- XS – 21 1/2 inches
- S – 23 1/4
- M – 25
- L – 24 3/4
3. Get a plain piece of paper and add it between the other two, with the pattern pieces on the top.
4. Now move the two pattern pieces apart until your pattern is the right total length. You need to measure along the bottom line, between the marks for your size. So if you are an extra small, you need to measure between the two extra small lines and move the pattern until your measurement is 21 1/2 inches. If you are a large, move the pieces apart until the measurement between the two Large lines on the bottom of the pattern is 24 3/4 inches. You get the idea.
5. Now tape your pattern in place and double check the bottom measurement. Draw a straight line along the top and bottom to join up your pattern.
6. Now cut out your pattern piece. Don’t forget to cut out the liner piece too. Your finished pattern should look something like this.
The pattern is made deliberately wide to accommodate any width of lace you might want to use. I suggest 4 inches to 6 inches or so wide.
In the next post I’ll recommend a couple of suppliers for good stretch lace, as well as show the full step by step tutorial for how to make your undies.
Authored by: Deby at So Sew Easy