- 1 yard of the softest Jersey you can possibly find, bamboo fabric or organic cotton combed jersey. I have included some suggested fabrics below.
- Jersey bias tape or make your own with this kit and our tutorial Make continuous bias binding tape.
- thread to match
- 16″ invisible zipper
- ball point needle
Suggested Fabric Options
Download the Free Pattern
Printing the baby swaddle pattern and cutting the fabric
Print the baby swaddle pattern in landscape. Use Adobe Reader and print using actual size. Do not scale.
Mark all the notches on the pouch. You will need them.
Take note: This baby swaddle pattern has the arms of different lengths for better wrapping. The left side is longer than the right.
Baby Swaddle Pattern Finished Measurements
The length measurement is without the head and width is arm span.
- Small: length 19″ x width 25″
- Medium: length 21″x width 27″
Step One: Attaching the invisible zipper to make the gusset
Both sizes use the same size zipper. The gusset size changes to accommodate.
- Two strips of Jersey fabric 15″ x 1 1/2″
- Two rectangles 6 1/2″ x 2″
- Two strips 15″ x 1″ stay knit tape
- Two strips of Jersey fabric 18″ in length and 1 1/2″ width
- Two strips 8″ x and 2″ in width
- Two strips 18″ x 1″ stay knit tape
This is a very easy way to attach the zipper. Just align the edge of the zipper tape with the fabric and use your invisible zipper foot. Just remember to pin the zipper to the sides that have the knit tape.
After you have sewn the zipper, cut the zipper to 15 1/2″. Do include the ends of the zipper.
We will add the rectangles to finish the gusset. Place the gusset (zipper) print side up and pin the rectangles to the gusset (zipper) print side down and sew at 1/2″. The length of your zipper should now be 14 1/2″ after sewing with the two seam allowances.
The length of your gusset with the zipper should be 27″ for medium and 25″ for the small.
Hide the zipper seam allowance with bias tape. Fold the other end of the gusset 1/2″ then another 1/2″and iron. There is no need to sew because the edge will be hidden.
This is how it will look from the inside.