The free dress pattern this month is a super simple, easy dress pattern for the ‘Wear Everywhere Dress‘. Made for knit fabrics with a moderate stretch, this dress has just two pattern pieces, the sleeves are already built in and its easy to fit to your shape. A perfect beginner sewing pattern. Plus – this dress is so versatile – dress it up, dress it down, dress it smart or casual. It all depends on your fabric choices and accessories.
- Built in sleeves
- Learn how to sew an easy knit neckline facing for a neat finish
- No darts or zippers
- Unusual square shaped neckline
- Easy to fit to your shape
- Range of sizes, from 31 to 40 inch bust
- Super flattering
- Make it figure-hugging or figure-skimming. You decide.
- Full sewing instructions are downloaded with the pattern pieces
Beginner. The instructions for this dress include instructions on picking stitches and finishes for use with knit fabrics. There are no complicated darts or zippers, and instructions are included on how to sew the neckline facings.
Where can you get the Wear Everywhere easy dress pattern ?
Can I see some more pics before I decide if it's for me?
Of course you can. I made a couple of versions, one in a diagonal print and one in a black and white vertical print. I think both look great!
Check Out Our Free Sewing Videos
Choosing your fabrics
You'll need a fabric with a moderate stretch. This pattern is so simple that it can accommodate a wide number and variety of stretch fabrics including novelty and sweater knits, but be aware when choosing your fabric that thicker fabrics and those with less stretch may need to be sewn with greater ease and may require you to go up a size. It looks good in both prints and solids.
Making up your pattern
See the downloadable instructions for details on how to print and piece together your pattern, and cut your fabric. Your pattern has a front, back and neckline facings.
What Size Do I Need?
Please use this table as a guide only as although our body measurements may be similar, different body shapes may require fitting differently.
I highly recommend the Sew the Perfect Fit course if you want to learn more about how to pick the right pattern size, make a muslin and get the correct fit. Making a muslin is always recommended prior to cutting your good fabric. If you are in between measurements, do measure the actual pattern pieces to determine what size would suit you best.
If in doubt test the larger size and adjust for fitting at the side seams during construction.
Wear Everywhere Dress Sewing Instructions
Seam allowances – 5/8th of an inch throughout unless mentioned.
Abbreviations used: RST – right sides together.
Note on finishing seams – seams should be finished as you sew. Use your favorite method or see the suggestions in the full instructions download.
I recommend the Sewing with Knits course if you want to learn more about sewing with knit fabrics. Read my review of the Sewing with Knits course.
These are abbreviated instructions and small photos for the blog only. The pattern download includes more detailed instructions to help you step by step along the way to a great finished Wear Everywhere dress. This is just a quick overview.
- Join center back seam. Join center back seam of neckline facing.
- Sew neckline facing to back, RST. Trim seams allowances by half.
- Stitch neckline facing to front, RST. Trim seam allowances by half.
- Join front to back at shoulders and along top of sleeve, opening out facings to join these at the shoulders.
- Open out neckline facing, right sides up. Press seam allowances towards facing and understitch through facing 1/8th inch from seam line. See this tutorial on understitching.
- Press facings to inside, top stitch around neckline 1/2 inch from seam. Trim facings.
- Join side seams. Try to fit and adjust if necessary.
- Finish sleeves and hem. See this tutorial on using a double needle to hem knits.
- Wear and enjoy!
Thanks for downloading this pattern. I'd love to see what you sew, so please upload your completed projects to the pattern page on Craftsy.
Watch out for the next pattern coming soon to the So Sew Easy Pattern Store. I know you are going to love it!
Authored by: Deby at So Sew Easy