The Easy Long Cardigan, A New Staple In Your Wardrobe

easy long cardigan

This easy long cardigan is very minimalistic and streamlined –perfect for the busty girl.  I have used tulle in the back to add a bit of drama but it is completely optional and you could use the same knit fabric to make the project even simpler.  This is a super easy project.  You'll see that there isn't a long tutorial because the design and construction are so simple.

The easy long cardigan is a design that has been around since the sixties.  A favorite of women who have to step out in their pajamas to drop the kids at school.  At least that is what we see in the movies, isn't it?  The fact is that it is a staple in women's wardrobes. Worn with leggings and a tank top or shorts and heels, it is the perfect accessory to hide your bottom.  Yes, you read right.

easy long cardigan

Sydney, Australia

There's a little backstory to this design that I'd like to share with you.  I was living in Sydney, Australia in 2001 when my mother came to visit.  As far as I can recall, my mother never has never worn pants before that.  In Sydney, winter weather is usually glorious except for a couple of weeks when it can get down to 10 degrees C or 50 degrees F and it's often windy.  As you can imagine, coming from tropical Panama, my mom's wardrobe was not adequate, so we went in search of warmer clothes.

I had jeans in mind, but she refused to wear them.  Her reasons shocked me.  She said my father had told her 30 years back that she did not look good on pants.  Determined to prove him wrong, I invited my mother to sit with me at a cafe and watch the people walking by.   The women in Sydney were comfortable in jeans.  That is what she saw and I was pleased.  However, she was still hesitant to give it a try, so I made her an easy long cardigan.  This would keep her warm and provide her somewhat I personally felt was unnecessary– modesty.  It did the trick and she's literally worn that same easy long cardigan (and pants..) ever since.  I wanted to share the concept with you.  Let's call it Sydney.

easy long cardigan

Key Features of the Easy Long Cardigan:

• Mid-calf but can be lengthened or shortened
  • No buttons or belt giving a slimming and very elegant look
  • Sizes 8 to 18
  • Adaptable to a printed or plain fabric
  • Super easy to sew

Materials

• Thin cotton or rayon knit jersey (only).  2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yards depending on size.  Please print the pattern to make sure you have enough fabric.
  • Soft tulle to match the color of the jersey.  1 yard.
  • Woven fusible tricot.  I used Pellon.

Tools

• Sewing machine
  • Double twin jersey needle.  I prefer Schmetz.
  • Jersey needle
  • Cover stitch sewing machine (optional)
  • or Serger

Where to find the instructions

Scroll down to the bottom of the page under the social media buttons, it is a small button shown in the picture below.

Finished Garment Measurements

easy long cardigan

Recommended Fabrics

See next page for pattern download.

221 Responses to The Easy Long Cardigan, A New Staple In Your Wardrobe

1. Soni C says:

Hi I am new to sewing. Do you have step by step instructions to stitch this cardigan like you have for Pajama?

2. Betty says:

Hi. I really enjoy your patterns and videos. I have a question about the fabric requirements. The instructions say 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 yards depending on size. How do I know how much to buy for a particular size? I don”t want to buy 3 1/2 yards if I only need 2 1/2 yards.

• Mayra Cecilia says:

Hi Betty, please print the pattern piece it up together then lay it on the fabric you want to buy, that is the most accurate way to make sure you will buy just what you need. It all depend how wide is the fabric and what size you are.

3. Clarissa says:

The neck binding says right sides together, but it never says to turn insideout. Shouldn’t it say wrong sides together?

Hi Clarissa, I don’t understand your question. if you look in the last picture you will notice that the neck binding will sit flat by itself since it is not reinforced with fusible interfacing. When sewing the binding sew the three layers together then use the overlocker. If you want you can stich the seam allowance flat by folding it away front he binding but I found this unnecessary. Let me know if I can help you further.

• Wyn says:

Hi Clarissa. The “right sides together” are the 4 inch long short end, of each long strip of the neck binding. Only one end of each strip. So it’s the 4 inch long seam which is sewn right sides together. Then trimmed and overlooked or zigzagged then opened and the long edges are put wrong sides together. Hope that helps.

• Gail Mitchell says:

Oh good clarification. I was wondering too. This sounds like a very easy make. Could this be considered a “duster”.

4. Melissa says:

Hey I was trying to down load it but I can’t help please!!!!

5. lrichards550 says:

Aloha Myra,

I have just purchased the long cardigan pattern, I can’t wait to make it! I want to make mine hit at mid thigh, is it appropriate the simply cut the extra length off the bottom or would that interrupt the flow of the jacket at the hem? Or should I cut the pattern apart higher up and move the original hemline up?

Mahalo for any advice you can give me.

Linda
    Kailua Kona, HI

• So Sew Easy says:

Aloha Linda, great question and it is one I should address in a separate tutorial since pictures in this case will tell more (as the saying goes). Basically it is up to you, if you cut the hem area off, the A shape will be narrower. IF you do the traditional method you will keep the hem width to avoid increasing the hips area trace a line from the waist to the hem.

• lrichards550 says:

Thank you for your reply and my condolences for your loss, that is always hard and even more so around holidays.

I was eager to make the sweater and ultimately just decided to dive right into the pattern! As I am only 5’2” and I wanted it to hit me mid thigh, I was shortening it by almost 10”!! I ended up slashing & shifting the pieces up in 4 places to keep the line and flow of the jacket. That also made redrawing the side seam across the changes a little easier as it seemed a bit more gradual overall. Overkill probably but it worked for me! I have everything cut out & I’m ready to put it all together! Wish me luck…

Linda

Thank you LInda for your kind words and yes good luck, send me a picture to add to the post or #soseweasy in your instagram, I am sure to see you either way.
          P.S. Holidays were tough, but here we are thanking and appreciating even more those around us.

6. Tracy says:

Where can I find the pattern sizing chart I see the finish garment chart but not that one to choose the initial size

I work with finished garments which is a far better way to fit a cloths to your body, but will require knowing your measurements and your body shape.

7. Anne Morrow says:

I am having difficulty getting to the pattern the Easy Long Cardigan to print the size I need. I wear size 14. Please list the steps for me to follow.
    I love your web-site. I have shared it with a lot of my friends.

8. Lilly says:

Hi,
    Since I am able to print on A1, would it be possible to get the pattern in this format?
    Thank you.

9. Gudrun says:

Hi,
    I like the cardigan very much, but I am having trouble printing and assembling it. After looking closely I found a pattern layout diagram, but that doesn’t help me much putting the pages together as they do not have a marked margin and I have no idea what the overlap is. Also, I had to print on A4 paper, but it seems to be designed for letter format. As such, I am at a loss of how to put them together and can only guess. Pity!

10. Pat Melton says:

I need it in a size 24 do you have a pattern for that size?

11. Hesthet says:

I would like it in a larger bust size 48 is it easy to enlarge,or would I need to do a full bust adjustmemt

12. Martha says:

If you want the cardigan to be made from a single fabric, should we purchase 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 yards (depending on size) instead of the suggested yardage? and I don’t see any pattern layout diagram showing the back yoke pattern.

The cardigan looks great. Thanks for sharing this with us!

13. Ellen Noblitt says:

Thank you !

14. joni says:

Would I be able to use this pattern with a woven fabric?

15. Maria Robeson says:

What size seam allowance do you use? I don’t seem to find that information in the actual pattern. Am I missing something?

16. سیما says:

Hi, thank you for your sewing site

17. Laurie says:

Just wondering if you show somewhere how to make a pattern a smaller size. I would like this in a size 4.
    It is difficult to find patterns in this size.
    Thank you so much for any suggestions you may have.

18. Melissa McCann says:

Wow! I really love this. Can’t wait to make it. Thanks sew much.

19. t says:

What is the size of the included seam allowance on this pattern?

20. Michele Drinkwalter says:

I am having trouble putting the pattern together. do you have a picture of the pieces on the fabric before cutting? I can’t find this

21. Brenda says:

hi, How can I shorten the cardigan, this is way too long for me.

22. Anna says:

Hi, I absolutely adore this pattern – one question though? What size/shape of interfacing should be cut? I don’t see interfacing pieces on the pattern.

Hi Anna, you can do the entire cardigan without the use of fusible tricot interfacing. I only mention if your hems buckle or become wavey to apply before sewing. If you have a cover stitch machine you will not need it at all.

23. Deborah Lancaster says:

I love this pattern and you guys are so wonderful I have been following from first time I saw your posts!!!
    My question is about the first step “Apply fusible tricot to the armholes, shoulders, and neck.” I’m confused about how much to cut out and where to exactly apply it have been sewing for 40+ yrs so not new to sewing can you help a girl out!!! Ty

The use of fusible tricot is simply to avoid the armhole and neckline from stretching out with sewing and time. Because you have a lot of experience handling fabric you can opt out this option. Kind Regards,

24. Lisa Hastrup says:

Please tell me how long the pattern should be when it is taped together. I’m having so much trouble getting it together. The sideseam please! I’m tearing my hair in frustration!

• Lisa Hastrup says:

Never mind. Itwas a printer-error!

HI Lisa on Step One there is a photo of the layout of the pattern please follow it. I am away from my sewing room and can not access the physical pattern. Please join the dark circles together and make sure the pages are in order from 1-27. As soon as I get home I will measure the larger size to let you know how long is that line, Thanks for your patience.

25. Caitlin says:

Hey, just a question, I measure 32″ bust 26″ waist and 37.5″ hips and am 5’5″ 1/2 or 166 cm tall. Would a size 8 be too large or would it be a good fit for me? I’ve never used patterns before so I am not sure.

26. THILAGAVATHY kandiah says:

how to assemble the pattern

27. Ruth says:

Hi, could this be made sleeveless with a few adjustments?

28. Lisa says:

Do you topstitch the binding? Seems like that would help it to lay flatter.

HI Lisa, I did not, I am using a super soft knit, it lays flat due to the weight of the fabric. You might need to if using a thicker fabric than mine.

29. Sue Volek says:

So sorry, but where’s the tutorial? Can’t wait to try this! Thanks

30. Patricia Regul says:

In a previous question you mention a video showing how to grade up this pattern to a larger size. I was looking for this but have not been able to find it. Is there a video on this? I am especially concerned about enlarging bust area. Thanks for your help and I just love this site

Hi, Patricia, sadly I haven’t edited the video, in the meantime, I just published a new cardigan this one goes up to 2XL, Reply

31. Janelle says:

Hi Ijust made this cardigan but found the sleeve length too short. I had to add cuffs which have not added to the streamlined look of the cardigan. I would advise adding two inches to the sleeve length. Also, I needed to reduce the width of both back and fronts…I’m a size 10-12 and found this pattern far too wide, preferring a more fitted streamlined look.

32. Abby McSherry says:

hi could you tell me, do you use american sizes or UK ones? if so what UK size is the 18 please

Hi, Abby, to determine what size to use please look at the finished measurements chart, it is a better indication of what size to use.

33. RIrby says:

Can someone tell me how this can be adjusted to use cotton (Ankara) fabric. And, I would like it to be floor length.

34. zainabmomoh says:

Hi, does this pattern include allowance?

35. Hi, thank you for answering!

“Place the two notches of the sleeves to the back and align the middle notch of the sleeve to the shoulder seam.

Sew the sides of the cardigan and the close the sleeve.”

I am new to sewing clothing, I don’t know how to attach and “close the sleeves”. I will sew more, get experience and come back. Thank you!

36. Hi, I am newish to sewing knits. I don’t understand before step 3. How do you attach everything, in what order.I don’t see how to attach the sleeves. Does anyone have pictures or instructions for those steps?