Sometimes in life, we can all be carrying along quite normally when out of the blue, comes something that makes us stop and think. For me, it was a Win on Wednesday giveaway that I ran back in April. In order to qualify for entry, readers have to leave a comment on the Facebook post, and rather than get a lot of random comments, it's fun to ask a question.
The question was:
Check Out Our Free Sewing Videos
“Just leave a comment below and let me know what sort of tutorials and patterns you would like to see on the site in the future. I'm keen to feature the kind of projects you are interested in.”
It was the range of answers to that question that really surprised me. To quote just a few:
- I would like to see some sewing ideas as teacher gifts. This school year starts in the last quarter and it is time to come up with ideas for the teacher appreciation.
- Simple projects with fat quarters.
- Please have more simple,fast to complete quilting projects–place mats, mug rugs, totes.
- I just love the mug mats and would love to see more of them and table runners.
- I like travel ideas, cases, bags etc.
- I've recently become addicted to table runners and mug rugs, so more of them. Easy ones for beginners.
- I “sew” enjoy your site. FAST projects with lots of impact for holidays…..for myself and gift giving!
- Keeping things simple, fashionable, and stylish are what I look for in new patterns to try.
- I love the smaller projects like bags and book covers, these placemats, etc. heck anything crafty.
- Work out wear.
- I would love to learn more about cutting out patterns. They're quite intimidating.
- I love projects that could be given to secret sisters, friends birthdays and decorating items. Antiques are my passion, so any pattern made like “in the old days” would be great. Like a cute clothes pins hanger.
- Cute quilted coffee cup sleeves, quick easy projects using fat quarters or small amount of scraps, tunic tops
- Something practical for gifts – smaller things that don't break the bank but are useful. Maybe gift bags too?
- I would like to see more “done in a day” projects!
- I like patterns that don't have too many pieces~ dresses, totes and other crafty ideas!
- Mug rugs, place mats, napkins, table runners, basically items that are quick and easy to make that also make great gifts
- I like quick and easy patterns as well as some that use fat eighths, fat quarters as well as pre-cuts and yardage.
So Sew Easy started out being all about sewing clothes for me. Then, fed up with the fit on commercial patterns, I started designing some of my own patterns and sharing them, started a few tutorials here and there and eventually moved onto some more complicated clothing and bag patterns in my paid-for pattern library. Just recently, I've moved into other smaller fabric projects like the Spring Mug Rugs, little bags, sewing for the kitchen etc as I realise there is so much more we can do with fabric than just sew clothes. I'm keen to explore all of the possibilities.
So now I thought it would be interesting to hold a proper survey, with questions to find out from you all exactly what you have liked in the past and would like to see in the future. The site is only as good as its content, and unless the content is what the readers are interested in, well, then I won't have any readers and no reason to add any content!
So please take a moment out of your busy day and away from your oh so precious sewing time, to answer a few simple questions about what you want to see here in the future.
The survey closes 22nd June and I'll come back with the results shortly afterwards. I'm really interested to see what you all have to say. I can't promise I'll be able to make everyone happy and feature everything you are all looking for, but I'll do what I can.