Kimono Top: an alternative to wearing pajamas to work…

kimono topAbout a year ago I began to see a disturbing trend on the streets.  Some of the young ladies were walking around in what to me resembled pajamas.  Now, I think when it comes to clothing, I am pretty opened minded.  If I see anyone at the 7/11 buying milk wearing pajamas, I think he or she really hates coffee without milk which is totally understandable.  However, walking under a scorching sun in the middle of a busy city street in what appears to be pajamas is a little odd, don't you agree?  I thought one of the “kids” I saw like this probably felt they were young and cool and were trying to be noticed.  But, for the rest of the mortals like me, well, pajamas just won't cut it to go anywhere other than to bed.

So I set about to come up with something much, much better.  I do love comfortable wearing clothing and I am happy to share an easy kimono top project for many occasions that won't even require a serger.   A kimono design is functional and stylish.  It has all the comfortable and loose-fitting features of pajamas while looking elegant and professional enough for business or pleasure.

kimono top

The kimono top is the perfect alternative for casual Friday at the office.  It is super easy to make and a great holiday gift.  You can also wear it over a swimsuit, a turtleneck, or a pretty tank top to add a layer to your outfit.  Also makes a good breastfeeding or maternity top.

Key Features:

• Versatile uses, both professional and casual
  • Perfect beginner to intermediate project
  • Can be made in many different fabrics

kimono topMaterials:

• Main fabric (1 1/2 yards to 2 yards depending on size, 60″ wide)
  • Contrasting fabric for sleeves and optional belt (1/2 yard)
  • Thread
  • Thinnest fusible interfacing
  • Pattern tracing paper
  • Two snaps

Tools

Pattern Download

We're going to continue to use the new Payhip webstore to distribute our patterns. As most readers know, Craftsy is changing a lot and they have stopped designers like us from publishing new patterns on their site, so we've had to move to another service.

Our patterns are still free, but now you now have the option of making a small contribution if you like our work! We'd really appreciate it and it will help is keep going with new and fun designs like this. Even a dollar or two really goes a long way.

Thanks so much in advance for helping us out.  You can use any credit card and you don't need a Paypal account, although you can use one if you have one.

Download the FREE Pattern HERE

SEE NEXT PAGE FOR PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS

89 Responses to Kimono Top: an alternative to wearing pajamas to work…

1. Suzanne says:

I know what you mean about people running around in pajamas. As you suggest, it might be some sort of “fad” for a while – who knows, but it’s not attractive. Years ago, women used to go out in hair curlers with a scarf wrapped around their heads – you never see that anymore so hopefully the pajamas thing will go away too.

Your kimono style top is lovely! It looks great over the skirt you show and I think it would exceptionally nice over a pencil skirt too.

Thank you for sharing the pattern!

It is my pleasure, I agree it is only a fad that will die out soon.

• JC says:

I think the thing about this being a “fad” and dying sooner depends on what region/county you live in. I am on the East Coast, Mid-Atlantic area of the US. I noticed this back around in 2004 when I worked in a gym part time.

There was an elderly member that use to work out in PJ bottoms. Then around 2012-2013, (I live in a MAJOR city), I started seeing younger (mainly guys back then) wearing them IN THE STREETS, in broad daylight.

Over the past 3-4 years, now both male AND females wear these PJs out in public with NO SHAME. Age wise-at least in my area-they are teens to 20’s.

I personally think it is DISGUSTING!

2. jignov says:

Wow… very useful information you have shared.

3. sue booth says:

I love the pattern and want to make it but when you’re a new sewer, it isn’t always easy to understand without a youtube video. But looks great

4. SANDRA CUNNINGHAM says:

Is there a pdf for the instructions? I found the download for the pattern, but would like to d/l the pages up above.

5. JC says:

Hello! Was wondering–could you please put the sewing level? (beg/interm/advanced) in the posts. It’s tough to tell especially when it’s not in a you tube video. Thanks so much for considering and you all do a wonderful job!

I’m more of a visual so unless a written pattern has very detailed pics and detailed instructions, it’s tough sometimes. :-).

6. Erin Oakes says:

This is so cute! I love wrap dresses and skirts. I’m sure I will love this kimono top.
    Is there a link to print out the instructions?

No Erin, in order for me to be able to make this free I need the traffic to go to my site, so BIG companies pay for my time while you can enjoy a free pattern and instructions. Hope you find this fair.

7. Sue Wilders says:

I can’t wait to try it

8. Cheryl says:

Is this made with knit fabric as opposed to woven? If so,any recommendations for the types of fabric?

I would use a knit with body and no more than 30 percent stretch otherwise it will just hang like a wet lettuce, but hey… I am always happy to be proven wrong and encourage you to explore so please let me know…

9. Sarah says:

I would love to have a summer top that crosses in the back (slips over the head) like the baby sundresses McCall’s put out in the 80’s.

10. nanjm says:

beautiful! thanks

11. zuwena says:

The instruction pages are not downloading. Regardless of the page clicked, only the first four pages show up for printing.

12. kadunajoy says:

Glad I read these comments…I’ll be looking for the longer sleeved one in the future.

13. carol says:

14. Carol Boyer says:

It is a nice style and anyone can wear it. I love it, now to get my tablet connected to the printer.