Penguin Pot Holder

Penguin Potholder

While it might seem like an obvious comparison, as I was designing this little guy, I realized potholders are much like puppets. I feel rather silly having never thought of that before now.

To make your own penguin pot holder, you will need:

• The Pattern – download from Payhip HERE
  • 1/4 yard of cotton batting
  • 1/4 yard of black cotton fabric
  • 1/4 yard of white cotton fabric
  • felt (white, black, yellow, and red)
  • matching thread

How to sew a Penguin Pot Holder

Penguin Potholder pre iron

1. Cut two of the main body pieces from the black fabric, two from the white fabric, and four from the batting. (I did NOT include a seam allowance in the pattern. You will need to include a seam allowance when cutting out the body piece)
  2. Cut the white belly patch from the white fabric (do not include a seam allowance)
  3. Cut the facial features from felt
  4. Pin two layers of batting to the wrong side of each of the black body pieces
  5. Stitch the white belly patch to the black front body piece (I used the appliqué stitch on my machine)
    Penguin Potholder patch applique
  6. Using black thread, stitch small semi-circles to the top of the felt beak Penguin Potholder beak
  7. Stitch the facial features (inner eyes, outer eyes, beak, and bow tie) to the body piece Penguin Potholder felt features
  8. Match up each black piece with a white body piece, right sides facing, and sew a straight line across the bottom Penguin Potholder bottom line
  9. Unfold each set and lie flat on top of one another with the right sides facing, matching the black pieces with each other and the white pieces with each other. Penguin Potholder stitch around
  10. Pin and the sew all the way around, leaving a gap at the top of the white pieces (far left in the above photo)
  11. Clip along the curves, especially in the head (to give the penguin's head a more circular shape)
  12. Turn the entire thing right side Penguin Potholder flipped
  13. Using a ladder stitch, close the gap in the white fabric
  14. Stuff the white fabric inside the pocket formed by the body of the penguin Penguin Potholder inside
  15. Align and press the bottom seam

Penguin Potholder front Penguin Potholder back

The penguin can easily be changed from a boy to a girl by cutting the bow tie from pink instead of red and moving it to the head, instead of the neck.

I'm pretty sure my first penguin has been confiscated by my daughter to join her collection of puppets (you can find many of the puppets we made for her here) but I plan to make a few more of these for Christmas gifts.

Hope you enjoy the penguin potholder as much as we have!

Opt In Image

Hi! I'm Alicia from Felt With Love Designs where my husband, Patrick, and I write about all of our crafty and artistic endeavors. Patrick is the artist behind our designs. I create all our patterns and designs based on his sketches and bring them to life with a needle and thread.

If You'd Like To Support Our Site

If you want to help us continue to bring you a wide selection of free sewing patterns and projects, please consider buying us a coffee.  We'd really, really appreciate it.

50 Responses to Penguin Pot Holder

1. This penguin is lovely ,thank for the pattern .

2. nrak57 says:

I think he is so stinking cute!!!! How could I print the tutorial for my friend, who doesn’t go on the internet? Thanks a million!

• Your browser comes with a print function so you can right click on the page and select print. You may have to fiddle with your print settings to get it to come out on the page how you like, but you’ll usually be able to preview before printing.

3. meari says:

Thanks for the tutorial and pattern. I just finished making this today. While this would be perfect size for a teenager, my hand barely fit into it. A man’s hand definitely would not fit into it. If I were to do this one again, I’d enlarge the main part of the body by at least 25%.

• RDCA says:

I just finished making one (Christmas Eve!) and it fits my hand nicely – I have very large hands, too. Did you possibly forget to add the seam allowances to the body pattern, as instructed? They are not included on the pattern.

4. Cam | Bibs and Baubles says:

That’s so cute. My daughter is always stealing my pot holders. I know I’d never see this one! LOL!

5. Erica says:

I need to learn how to sew, this is the cutest! 🙂

6. JenEverAfter says:

This is adorable! I’ve always wondered how to make pot holders myself -now I know!

7. That is really cute! I need some sewing skills.

8. Mandy says:

This is way too cute! My daughter and I LOVE penguins!! I’ll have to make several for gifts this year. I may “tweak” it just slightly though to add a thumb/tail in the back and do as Deby suggested and use the Insul-Bright because I plan to use this little guy a LOT! Thanks for sharing such an adorable project.

9. Such a fun pot holder. Love it!!!

10. teamwiking says:

This is so adorable, and perfect for the upcoming season!

11. Breanna says:

So cute. And what a perfect gift this would be for someone! I love handmade gifts.

12. Erlene says:

Super cute and simple design to sew. Thanks for sharing it.

13. This is so cute and so appropriate right now. The John Lewis advert has just launched in the UK and it’s always huge. Plus, they have a super cute penguin in it this year and everyone’s gone nuts for him!!

Katie <3

14. Erin @ Sugar Crumbs says:

How adorable is this??? I just love it!

15. So stinkin cute! These would make perfect gifts!

16. ebodker says:

How cut and how much fun to make.

17. redheadloves says:

This is so cute! I love penguins!!!

18. Anne says:

Cute!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your pattern:
    –Anne

19. Rebekah says:

Oh my gosh this is so cute! Perfect little holiday gifts!

20. Love this! Penguins are my fave, too. And this would make a perfect teacher gift! -Deanna {sewmccool}

21. Oh my goodness!! That is so ridiculously cute! I wish I was more crafty and could do things like this.

22. This is superbly adorable! I LOVE penguins!

23. Chelsea says:

Okay, this is super cute! I have a guy friend who is obsessed with penguins, he’d love this haha.

24. Lindsay says:

This is so cute! I am in need of some Christmas pot holders 🙂

25. This is just too cute! I love crafting, I’ll have to try it out!

26. Such a sweet little penguin! I bet this would be awesome to put in with other Christmas presents too right?

27. Pauline Cabrera says:

What a cute pot holder! You’re very creative.

28. Andi says:

Really cute! I have never made something like this before, I looked at the materials and don’t see anything that jumps out has special heat-proof materials, is it just the batting? Or is it decorative and not for use as a “real” potholder?

29. SexyBagsNShoes (@SexyBagsNShoes) says:

Too cute! It looks pretty easy to make too.

30. Carolann says:

This is adorable! Perfect for my DIY Christmas gifts this year!

31. Heather says:

HOW CUTE! What a great idea…it even looks like something I MIGHT be able to make! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

32. Angela Price says:

Very cute, and nice, easy instructions too!

33. LaMode365 says:

This is adorable! I really like the idea of animal shaped potholders – they’re just so quirky!

34. Myrabev says:

This is the cutest pot holder I have ever seen and since I love penguins its adorable

35. mommyinsports says:

I want to make one for every teacher! So cute!

36. Winnie says:

Wowwww
    This is really CUTEEEEE !!
    Great idea with beautiful result
    you’re very creative 🙂

37. Oh my goodness! My oven mitts are getting old and worn, and this would be a great DIY to replace them! <3

38. ananda says:

such a sweet idea! would make great holiday gifts!

39. Claire says:

That is SO cute! I wish I could sew!