The Perfect for Work Dress Pattern – Free

Just what I've been looking for. Free pattern for a work dress that looks smart but fun.

You might have noticed that I lost some weight this year.  35lbs !  Yay.  Gradually it had crept on over the last 3 years and now it's gone again.  So to celebrate, I wanted to make something figure-hugging, a new dress I knew my husband would love.  Something for work and formal occasions, but which could also be a date-night dress too.

The Perfect for Work Dress fits the bill perfectly and yes, hubby loves it!  When I modeled it the first time, he suggested we go out to dinner tonight and show it off – he's a good guy!  It's the sort of smart dress I used to wear when I had an office job – oh a gazillion years ago now.

It's easy to sew, comfy to wear.  You don't have to make yours as figure-hugging as mine.  Just go up a size or cut between sizes for a little bit more ease if you prefer a loose fit.  My fabric is also a fairly firm ponte knit.  If you made this in a softer fabric with more stretch, like an ITY knit, you'd also get a looser fit from the same size.

Features:

• Quick and easy to sew
  • Figure skimming fit
  • Longer length – pick your own skirt length
  • Center back seam to help get a nice fit
  • Short sleeves
  • Layered pattern for easy printing – just print your size
  • Sizes 29- 41 bust, 33-45 inch hips
  • For knit fabrics only – I used a Ponte Knit  (Read more about different types of knit fabrics here.)

Fabric Suggestions Available on Amazon

Opt In Image
Download the Perfect for Work Dress pattern

You can download the pattern from my design account on Payhip.  Add it to your cart and check out - its FREE.  The pattern will be saved in your Pattern Library safely until you are ready to sew, then you can download and print it at any time.

How to sew your Perfect for Work Dress Pattern

Download and assemble your pattern.  If you need more help in printing the layered pattern in just your size, you can see full step-by-step photo instructions in this earlier article – How to Print a Layered PDF File.

Cut out your fabric pieces.  Make in two colors, three or even 4 – whatever takes your fancy.  Take care to cut your fabric for the front pieces with all of the pattern pieces face up and placed on the right side of your fabric.

The Perfect for Work Dress pattern - free. Love the color blocking. How about making it in a solid with bright print accents?

All seam allowances and hems are 1/2 inch unless otherwise stated. Pin, sew and then press the center back seam.

Assemble the front of the dress starting with the largest pieces, pieces 3 and 4.  Match them right sides together and sew with a half-inch seam allowance.  You may need to refer to this previous tutorial on how to sew slanted seams – remember to match up the stitching lines not the points of the fabric or you'll get jagged edges at the joins. Press.

Join piece 2 to piece 3, pin, stitch, and press.

Join the small piece 1 to piece 2.  Press.

If you don't quite line up exactly and get little jagged pieces at the overlaps, just trim the seam smooth with your scissors.  It will all still work out just fine.

Join the front of the dress to the back at the shoulders, right sides together.  Use a half-inch seam allowance, BUT start stitching 3/8th of an inch from the neckline edge and leave that part unsewn.  Stitch all the way to the outer edge of the shoulder seam, where the sleeve will join.   Press the shoulder seam open.

Leaving this 3/8th of an inch unsewn will give us just a little bit of ease in the neckline later on and make it easier to get a smooth finish when we turn and stitch.

Find the center of your sleeve and match this to the shoulder seam.  Pin your sleeve in place right sides together.  Stitch and press seam towards the sleeve. Repeat for the other sleeve.

With right sides together, stitch the side seams of the dress, and the under part of the sleeve, and press seams towards the back.

Turn the neckline edge 1/2 inch to the inside and pin well.  The shoulder seam should be neatly turned under the neckline edge and allowed to open if necessary to make those curved turns lie nice and flat.  Stitch in place and press.

PicMonkey Collage

Turn up 1/2 inch to the inside of the sleeves edges and stitch.  Press.

Mark the hem length for your dress and trim if necessary.  Turn up your hemline and finish with your favourite finish for knit fabrics.  Using a twin needle is optional.

Now wear and enjoy your Perfect for Work Dress and don't be surprised when your colleagues want to know where you bought it from  🙂

How about making another – mixing a solid with a bright print!

Opt In Image
Download the Perfect for Work Dress pattern

If You'd Like To Support Our Site

If you want to help us continue to bring you a wide selection of free sewing patterns and projects, please consider buying us a coffee.  We'd really, really appreciate it.

61 Responses to The Perfect for Work Dress Pattern – Free

1. LindaM says:

Wow! Absolutely Gorgeous! And the dress is really nice, too.
    Congratulations! And thank you for the pattern.

2. Diane Severns says:

Wow is all I can say! You look amazing . Cute dress too.

3. Sue Hosack says:

Great looking pattern. It looks great on you, awesome color blocking. If I wore dresses, this one would be in my closet.

4. carolyn newsome says:

I meant earlier to congratulate you on losing those 35 pounds. I unfortunately found them and have virtually nothing to wear except pull on shorts and T-shirts that are too small in the hips. I do need to get some sewing going!

5. Gayle says:

Love the dress will definitely make one. Really want to know how you lost the weight. I struggle with it

6. senorenapeepers says:

Hello Deb. So So nice to see you modeling you beautiful dress. Your self confidence when wearing your patterns is so so inspiring.

We miss you no longer engaging on this the so sew easy dot com website. What happened? Come back.

Senorena Peepers

P.S. This one of my favorite dresses – so versatile – from color combinations as well as simply solid. Love it. Miss You.

7. Carolyn Newsome says:

I think the dress is pretty, practical and ready to do all the things that you said it will. However, seeing that you were wearing a bikini under your dress meant that you needed to let out the seams a bit, or find a slip, or some of these no-line panties. It ruined the effect.

Also, I found the different shades of black from front to back disturbing. Did you use a nap layout for cutting? I know it may take a bit more fabric, but it sure makes a difference with knits.

8. Terese says:

Very nice dress, and congratulations on the weight loss. You look great, and you must feel pretty darn good, too!

9. Donna Demby says:

Such a pretty dress. Thank you for sharing the pattern. Congrats on weight loss also.

10. Wanda in NC says:

I had not noticed you gained weight, but you sure look nice in your new dress! Now it’s my turn to lose. Getting older and slower here.

11. Judith Brill says:

Love your site. Love this dress! You look AMAZING! I know the very real struggle of weight loss. Could you possibly share how you lost the weight?

12. debbie says:

Do you know of any dress patterns like this for a 44 inch bust? Thanks, love what you have here.

13. Cheryl Gray says:

Hi, I love this pattern. I made two for my granddaughters, opposite of course. Now I have to figure out how to make something for their 9 month old little sister. This pattern is so easy and versatile, thank you so much for sharing it. I am new sewing, and think your site is so helpful and inspirational. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

14. Debra says:

Deby, please check out this story if you haven’t already done so!!

15. Christine says:

Hi Deby, I just whipped this dress out from under my serger and gave it a quick, pre-press try…not bad! The fit is pretty spot on other than the neckline being a little high, and there being lots of excess in the back, but I think that’s down to me being shorter in the waist than you. I’m also going to chop maybe 4 or 5 inches off the bottom to hit above my knee for cutenes factor.

I made my version out of double-faced fleece – navy blue on one side and a bright blue on the other, which I used for the contrast – so I’m expecting to have an awesome dress for lounging about the house while staying very classy! Thank you for making the pattern available, and free!

16. Monica says:

Looks awesome and you look healthy as well.. I will certainly try this dress 🙂

17. Congrats on your weight loss! You look fabulous. I am so going to make this dress this weekend. Love love the pattern. thanks for sharing.

18. Miriam says:

I love this dress! I’m a confused beginner. Is the seam allowance in the pattern? Or should I cut 0.5 in outside? Sorry for my English…thank you!

19. saudade1962 says:

Deby, congrats on your weight loss and thank you for the pattern! I am a high school teacher and this will be perfect to combine our school colors for spirit days. I don’t like wearing Tshirts( of which I have 25years’ worth) so this will be a perfect alternative! Thank you, merci, veil Danke, gracias!

20. Irene says:

I;m echoing all the kudos to your new pattern and your new shape. Stunning!!! Thank you so much for offering some free patterns. Your blogs are my favorite.

21. Monique U says:

Good show on the weight loss, Deb (and congrats on being featured at Totally Tutorials: http://totallytutorials.blogspot.ca/2015/07/tutorial-how-to-make-color-blocked.html). Love this pretty design!

22. Flower says:

Deby, this is my first visit to your blog and I love it! Speaking of loving…that dress is sew pretty on you. Thank you for sharing. Flower

23. Candy says:

Love you Deby!

24. Lieve says:

This weekend I was browsing through your patterns and I thought you lost some weight recently. You look stunning and that new dress flatters your figure! Again a wonderful pattern of yours! TY for the time and effort you put into these patterns!

25. Teri Donaldson says:

The dress is beautiful and so are you. Thank you so much for your kind and generous heart!

26. Isis says:

Great dress, looking good Ms. Deby

27. apopofred says:

Wow this dress is stunning Deby! I will definitely be making one for myself. I am thinking black with red accents!

28. Diane says:

Beautiful dress – it looks great on you!

29. madeline says:

you look fabulous in this dress …i was jealous before even more now …keep up the great ideas …love your web site….take care ….

30. verna bohnert says:

Deby, wow! You look great, I thought you were getting smaller! This is a very cute dress, thank you for sharing so much!

31. sharon joseph says:

Stunning dress and you look awesome in it! Another winning pattern. And maybe…just maybe…you will inspire to give up my ice cream habit. 🙂

32. Duane says:

Love the dress! Unfortunately, I would have to lose 50 lbs (and am trying) to look half as good as you do! Congrats on the 35 lbs, you look HOT. Thanks for sharing all your patterns and tutorials. They make it so easy.

33. Marilyn says:

Beautiful dress. You look wonderful also. I need to lose some weight too. 🙂

34. Barbara says:

This is a gorgeous dress, Deby! It fits you like a glove! Terrific job.

35. Fadanista says:

What a stunning dress Deby, you look sensational!

36. Cheryl M says:

Love the dress! Now tell me how you lost that 35 lbs…because I think I may have found it and would like to get rid of it too!

• Basically I stopped eating anything with a label on it, anything processed, and stuck with lean meat, veg and salad. Took 6 months, slow but steady, and got there in the end. Good luck with your journey.

• ROBIN, HUNTSVILLE TX says:

You make that weight loss sound so easy! I’ve been doing this for more than a year and can’t get there. You look GREAT! And I love the dress. Thank you!!

37. Bernardette says:

Another great dress, thanks Deby can’t wait to try it. Cheers !!

38. MJ says:

This is a beautiful dress and it looks great on you. I can also imagine it being a beautiful top as well. Thanks!!

39. Jann from Newton Custom Interiors says:

Another great dress Deby!