Summer Top Pattern, An Easy Two Hour Project Named Tina

summer top patternTina is a summer top pattern, is the easy two-hour project I'm sharing with you this weekend.  The trend this summer is to wear bike or yoga shorts.  Personally I find it awful, however, I can appreciate the practicality of this trend.  It allows people to bike everywhere and teamed up with the right top and a small jacket it can even make it as an outfit for casual Friday's at the office.

summer top patternMy daughter would tell you that this trend is new, but for us that have been through the beginning of the '90s as young people, we knew this trend in lime green, turquoise, and hot pink.  At last, this time, we have come around to black.  What to wear with this trend?  An A-line sleeveless top that you can make in two hours.  This summer top pattern comes in sizes 8-20 and will cover your bottom.  Made in a very flowy silky fabric it can be the perfect companion for riding back from the office.

This summer top pattern should be a staple in your collection.  Cinched around your waist with a belt, tucked in with a pencil skirt or just on top of bike shorts or capri pants will be a very practical item in your wardrobe.

I have used a combination of rayon and cotton with great drape, I purchased the fabric while in India so I don't have any idea where you would get a similar print but I have put some good alternative suggestions from Fabric.com below.

The top has a scooped neck and biased armholes.

summer top pattern

A bust dart to give it shape around the chest while it falls gently in an A-line shape around the rest of your torso, making it a little longer will give a very easy to wear summer dress as well.

summer top pattern

Materials

• 1 to 1 1/2 yards of silk, rayon or cotton batiste
  • 2 to 3 yards of bias tape
  • Thread to match

Tools

• Sewing machine
  • Needle size 70

Size Chart and Finished Measurements

Size              Bust
8                    34          (86.4 cm)
10                  35 1/2   (90.17 cm)
12                  37           (94 cm)
14                  39           (99.1 cm)
16                  41            (104 cm)
18                  43           (109 cm)
20                 45           (114 cm )

Fabric suggestions from Fabric.com

If you do not see the following picture it might be because you are using an ad blocker.

Skill Level: Confident Beginner

The knowledge of how to apply bias to armholes and necklines, french seam, and sewing darts are essential skills.

How To Download And Print The Summer Top Pattern

Please use Adobe Reader, print in landscape mode and do not scale.

Pattern Download

We're going to continue to use the new Payhip webstore to distribute our patterns. As most readers know, Craftsy is changing a lot and they have stopped designers like us from publishing new patterns on their site, so we've had to move to another service.

Our patterns are still free, but now you now have the option of making a small contribution if you like our work! We'd really appreciate it and it will help is keep going with new and fun designs like this. Even a dollar or two really goes a long way.

Thanks so much in advance for helping us out.  You can use any credit card and you don't need a Paypal account, although you can use one if you have one.

Download Pattern HERE

Pattern Layout

summer top pattern

How To Sew Your Summer Top

The construction of this top is very easy.  I have used the tutorials that we have already written for you to save myself about 16 hours of work, plus why repeat what we have already shown you.

Step One: Sew The Dart

How to Sew Darts – How to Sew A Skirt Series

Step Two: Sew The Shoulders

I used a french seam, but you can either use the zigzag in your machine or an overlocker.

How to sew a French Seam, the best seam for delicate fabrics

Step Three: Sew the sides

The use of a french seam is ideal if you are using silk or cotton batiste for this top.

Step Four: Apply The Bias Tape To The Neck, Then The Armholes.

Use Bias Tape for a Neckline or Arm Hole Facing

Step Five: Make The Hem

How to Hem Sheer or Lightweight Fabrics

So who is Tina anyways?

Tina was a roommate I once had for a couple of months in New York City.  She was a bike messenger by day and studied chemistry at night.  She practically lived in her summer top and bike shorts.  According to her, the top brought her luck, so she had me make her some in a few in different colors.

She had crazy hair and a lean body due to the hours of biking.  One day she had a terrible accident which coincidently happened when she was not wearing the top end ended suing the guy who ran her down.  The pay out was in the millions.  I heard a few years ago she took the money and went to France to study Chemical  Engineering and opened a controversial lab for animal testing of blood pressure medicines and diabetes.

How did I found out about her?  That is another story for another day, but I can tell you that the world is very small despite the 7 billion of us on it and that there are just a few degrees of separation between all of us.

I hope this summer top pattern brings you luck as it did to Tina. Let me know if you would like this top with flutter sleeves, or you rather see my take on a diaper bag, a curvey friendly teddy or the ultimate top to hide a roll around the belly button in the style of Channel.

Until Next time, happy sewing!

recycling old placemats

summer top pattern

144 Responses to Summer Top Pattern, An Easy Two Hour Project Named Tina

1. angela says:

Thank you for the free pattern. Love the design.

2. virch says:

the picture of this cute top shows a round neckline, but when i cut the fabric it turns out a V shape neckline, how can i fix my fabric to make it round, which i prefer?

Glad you ask, I did notice that when I was making the sleeves for this top. And now that I remember I did change it because I am Cup C and a V-neck makes my neck look longer. One of those little tricks to make an optical illusion to trick people into thinking I am slimmer and taller than I really am. Use your french ruler to redraw and round up the neckline on the sides do not cut anymore on the v. Cut less than you think you need.

3. Sandra Van Nood says:

Thank you very much for the pattern and the tutorials. I made the top this morning and it came out very nice. I made it from cotton viscose and lowered the neckline a bit as that is my preference.

Such a pleasure to read your comment, especially because you transform the pattern to your preference. I too prefer a lower neckline and that is why I have never worn the top. Makes me look bustier than I am.

4. Alice says:

Hi Mayra. This looks nice and comfy! I am plus size 26. Do you have a beginner tutorial on how to size the pattern up? And would definitely like to see the flutter sleeves to help cover the chubby arms. 😊

Hi, Alice, I do not, It would take me about three days to write up a tutorial on grading.

5. LoriAnne says:

Hello, I love the look of the pattern but I can’t find a size chart any where. I’m getting so frustrated looking for one, Blog, blueprint web page, nothing. HELP!

6. Awilda says:

Hello, how do I know which size to cut out? I want to make one for my daughter and she’s a medium. Thank you.

Hello Awilda, you need to measure the bust and then compare it to the pattern chart that is under the tools section.

• Rae Shaw says:

Hi, I’m like Alice. I have “large” breast & would like to know how to grade a pattern for a bigger bust(44-D)
        Warm Regards,
        Rae

Hi Rae, I have already written about this topic before, I do want you to pay special attention to your shoulders. Are you busty and smaller size. Choose the size you normally use then grade the bustline up.

• Awilda Mejias says:

Thank you so much!

7. Karen Waller says:

Such an easy pattern! Thank you. Only thing is I can read the size legend for the pattern. I know the first one is 8 and the last one is 20. Would you be so kind as to fill in the middle for me? Thanks again!

8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 the finished measurements are posted now under the Tools section.

8. Erin Blubaugh says:

Hi, I’m not very experienced, but learning. How do I choose what size to use? I measured myself but I’m not sure how to cut the pattern. Thanks!

9. Jean Munn says:

Flutter sleeves would be great. Can you give me a hint on assembly, I’ve used your patterns before, but can’t get the pages to align which wasn’t a problem when I had the ones with the pies to match up, thanks for your help.

10. Vee says:

Thank you so much for this lovely pattern! I love the A-line of this top.
    Please, a sleeve to hide old and flabby arms would be highly appreciated!

11. Jean Munn says:

I have now managed to pay for my pattern, thanks for your generosity in providing such great patterns 😁

12. Dee says:

Hi! love this top! I don’t see the finished measurements or a size chart for the pattern to determine what size to cut. Did I overlook it?

13. I wonder how it will work with cap sleeves.Flutter sleeves sound nice.

I like the cap sleeves concept because of balance, the flutters sleeves cannot be too long because it would add bulk to the chest area. IMO.

14. Christine says:

Love the simple, easy drape of this look! Re. which pattern, the top to hide a roll in the style of Chanel sounds ideal!

15. Leslie says:

Love the top. Can’t wait to make one. I am actually in process of making a similar one with a mandarin collar and slit v neckline. But this one is much easier! This would also make a nice dress if you extend the length. I might try that also. As far as the pattern you share next, I’d like the pattern to conceal the tummy. It is my problem area and even though I am a size 6, my tummy isn’t cooperating and putting me at an 8-10. That’s not a big difference but I’d like to hide it as best as I can anyway. In my opinion, this Post menopausal body should be well be concealed!

I hear you, Leslie, I am working on it. Writing up the tutorial while I make the top and then I will grade it.

16. Eilea says:

Looking for your sizing chart to figure out what size to make.

17. Susan says:

Do you have an information about the sizing of this pattern?

18. Jean Munn says:

Really want to make this, but my PayPal account keeps telling me that one of the recipients is unable to accept payment at present.

19. Angela Bowles-Barrett says:

Definitely flutter sleeves!

20. Mary says:

This top looks beautiful. I plan to make one, but I’d love the one to cover body rolls.

21. Cally Ross says:

flutter sleeves to elbow length would be perfect for this old lady!

Hi Cally, I don’t think I will be making them that long but elongating them will not be hard to do.

22. Julia says:

I love this top, but I too would like to see it with flutter sleeves. I think it would be a perfect “dressy” blouse to wear on Jeans Fridays to work. Thank you!

23. Patricia Moschgat says:

I can’t wait to make this! Please post the top that hides the belly roll! I love your website.

24. martha de lange says:

Beautiful will you consider one in a plus size?

HI Martha, what size are you looking for?

• Stephanie Mullins says:

I am actually plus size and pregnant!!! I would love to make this for this summer. I wear a 20 (or size 2X) regularly; any recommendations on how to convert to a preggo tummy as well? 🙂

I would actually recommend you to use a knit fabric for the tummy, you could increase on the sides to allow for growths.

25. Sharon Hamilton says:

This pattern looks comfy and stylish. But i also did not find any fabric suggestions. All it says under tools is needle size and sewing machine. it does say Fabric.com but no link.

26. virch says:

Flutter sleeves, please!!

27. Katrina says:

I bought some rayon on special as an impulse buy… I think this is the perfect use for it.

I would love a little cap or flutter sleeve on it though – my work has this as a dress code requirement, and this would make a great top for work.

Thanks for the great pattern and awesome instructions.

28. Monique says:

Thank you for the pattern!

29. Jacki Prettyman says:

Was in the city today so stopped at JoAnn’s and bought a brightly patterned light-weight knit and getting ready to start on it now. Thanks so much for a breezy, easy pattern for summer wear.

Do send me a picture, if you can. I am writing an article about what the readers are up to.

30. Katherine Kalin says:

Does this pattern include seam allowances and what are the finished measurements for size 10, 12?
    Thank you!

31. Jerri says:

Thank you! I love the a-line shape of the top and can’t wait to try it!

32. salgrace says:

I love your print. You write that you will offer fabric suggestions from Fabric.com, but, there is nothing listed nor a link to go to Fabric.com. Is it just my computer? That’s always possible with my new computer.

Yes, they are under the TOOLS section. I think it is your computer, I provided four suggestions for the top.

• c says:

Must be my computer too? There is nothing listed nor a link showing up for me either!

It is under the tools you should see four pictures click on the pictures to see the description of the fabric so you can purchase the one showing on the site or a similar one that catches your eyes.

33. Mary Reinhardt says:

It’s a beautiful top but I can’t wear sleeveless clothes!