Wide Leg Pants Pattern – How To Elongate Your Figure

wide leg pants patternWide leg pants are sometimes called Palazzo pants although the designs can vary a little.  This wide leg pants pattern is sure to give you a long and elegant look.  At least that's what I am told everytime I wear these pants.

I am currently in the southern hemisphere.  The days are nice and warm but the nights are so cool that its impossible to wear shorts (comfortably and without shivering uncontrollably).  It is mid-autumn and from my window, the leaves are starting to fall and change color.  The sun is glorious and I still refuse to wear the dreaded black color that most people here prefer in winter.

To take advantage of the warm daylight sun, I went to the market and bought some jacquard knit.  I am determined to wear lighter colors until the harsh cold of winter will force me to put some jeans on.  You may recognize one of the fabrics in my current stash from the carpet tote bag project.

If you have seen my Instagram lately you would know that I have made these wide legs pants before, about a couple of months back.  In fact, I have made three so far one in jacquard knit, one in grey wool, and another in blue polka-dotted crepe fabric.

palazzo pants

These wide leg pants are not as wide as the old 1970's ones but are more similar to the classic width from the 1930's. This makes a great pairing with a tucked in blouse, a short tank top or my personal favorite — a body suit.

I have added my favorite type of pockets, the slanted pockets. Stylish and useful.

Also, they have a waistband that gently hugs you, without making the dreaded muffin top.

And finally, they can be made long enough to fall just at the edge of your shoes without dragging on the floor which I will show you how to lengthen them in a separate tutorial.

Noticed though the current trend is to wear them around your ankle or a bit shorter which is perfect for the tall gal. I am not in that group and longer the better.

This is probably an advanced beginner or intermediate project.  I hope you give it a try.

Note: Please read all the instructions before you attempt this project.  The pants are petite friendly and if you are tall follow this tutorial on how to lengthen any pants pattern.

For stretched Knits only.

Materials

• 2 to 2.5 yards of 60″ jacquard knit, double knit, bamboo or linen/cotton knit
  • Elastic for waistband (optional)
  • Thread to match

Tools

• A jersey or ballpoint needle
  • Sharp scissors or Rotary cutter
  • Pins
  • Sewing machine with zigzag stitching
  • An overlocker is ideal but not essential

Recommended Fabrics from Fabric.com

This wide leg pattern is very functional and the look will change depending on the fabric you use.

Use jacquard knit or a pique knit for a tailored look.  Stretchable knit and bamboo for a summer look.

Pattern download

Opt In Image
Download the Free Pattern

You can download the pattern for these Wide Leg Pants from our account at Craftsy.

For help downloading and printing PDF patterns, please CLICK HERE.

Finished Garment Measurements

Size High Hips Hips Hem Width
6 31″ 52″ 58″
8 32″ 53″ 59″
10 34″ 54″ 61″
12 35.5″ 55.5″ 62.5″
14 37″ 57″ 64″
16 38.5″ 58.5″ 65.5″
18 40″ 60″ 70″
20 42″ 62″ 72″

Pattern Layout for the wide leg pants pattern

Printing Instructions

Use the latest version of Adobe Reader, this is the only program you will need and we are not asking you to download any other program nor pay for additional programs.

Print the pattern for the carpet tote bag on Actual Size and in a Landscape format.

Cutting Instructions

It is imperative that you maintain a strict grainline, or the pants will not fall the way they should.

Sewing Instructions: Step One

We are going to start by sewing the slanted pockets.

The following illustration is to show you when I talk about print side up or down.

Place the front of the pants print side up.  Align the slanted side of the front of the pocket with the slanted side of the front of the pants and sew at 3/8″.

Turn the leg print side down and iron the seam allowance towards the pocket.

Turn the pocket right side in and topstitch 3/8″ from the edge along the opening of the pocket, use a medium stitch.

Repeat on the other leg.

For the next step, you will need the front of the pants print side down and the back of the pocket. Place the back of the pocket on top of the front of the pants aligning it with the other side of the pocket.  Pin the two sides of the pockets and sew at 3/8″.  Do not sew the sides of the pants yet, this step will be done when we joining the back with the front of this wide leg pants.

Turn the pockets and topstitch the slanted line.

Step Two

Joint both front pieces print sides together and sew the crotch on the front.

Sew the crotch at the back.

Step Three

Simply sew the sides and inner legs at 3/8″.

Zigzag the seam allowances before you continue to the next step.

Step Four

In this step, we will be making the waistband.  The waistband is not included in this wide leg pants pattern so we will have to draft it ourselves.

Simply measure the waistline of the pants and draft a rectangle that is 2 1/4″ less than the waist of the pants.  You will find that a 2″ subtraction is enough to make the waistband fall on your hips just nice.

Cut the waistband 4 3/4″ X waist measurement of pants minus 2 1/4″. Before you cut the fabric find a wide elastic and try the measurement you have come up with and make sure it is not too tight nor too loose.  You want just the right hug around your waist to avoid any lumps or bulges.  Let me clarify you will not be using the elastic on the waistband.   The elastic is just so you can see how the waistband is going to look around your hips.

A too tight waist will ruin your look, a too loose waist will make you uncomfortable thinking the pants will fall or there is going to be a gap on your back.

Sew the waistband at 3/8″.  Fold it in half, so the band will be doubled.  Mark the front, back and side seams of the waistband.   Place the seam to the back and thread the pants through the band.  Pin front, back, and side seams and stretch the band between this pins as you sew.

Finally, zigzag the hem.  Fold the hem 1″ and stitch.

Then iron the pants, find some fancy sneakers, a hat and a tank top and go for a walk.  It's a lovely day! At least in my neck of the woods.

Hope you enjoyed this pair of wide-leg pants. I thought they would be fun to make since people are always asking me; where did you get them? Then I say that I made them myself.  I'm sure you all know what a great feeling it is to have one of your creations appreciated by others.  I am bragging just a bit, but hey! I really love these pants they can make anyone feel taller, cooler and younger… what else can  I ask for?

Check back next week when I wil be showing you how to lengthen this pants and add stripes to the sides.

Until Next Time! Happy Sewing!

144 Responses to Wide Leg Pants Pattern – How To Elongate Your Figure

1. Lovely! This design would be perfect for 100% linen fabric. I think it would work beautifully with plain colors as well.

Hi Inga, these pants are originally designed for knit fabric with a 25% stretch, be sure to leave 3cm wearing ease at the waist and add an invisible zipper if you are using a woven fabric. Yes, I have made these in linen and in wool, and they are my favorite power dress pants.

2. Teresa Ballesteros says:

Please, could you tell me if the pattern is with saw allowances? I should make them this weekend if you are so kind to send me an email to
    Thanks a lot for your beauty and useful job.
    Teresa

3. Andrea says:

These are too cute and comfy looking. Can you please tell me the fabric name, type and where you got it from? I love the color and print!

Hi, Andrea, the type of fabric is called jacquard Knit, I bought in a street market while in Santiago, Chile, it was only a piece that caught my eyes. Not sure of the country of origin but I am pretty sure it was made in China. I have put some fabric swatches for you to consider. Hope you can find one that you like.

4. Anne M Brown says:

I got the Wide legs pant pattern, but the page that has the supplies list is the supply list for the placemat purse. I’m hoping you could fix this before I print it out.

5. Emma Carpenter says:

Thanks for the lovely pattern. I had a couple pair of store bought like this out of a knit jersey a while back. Comfort beyond words. Always wanted to make a pair like this. Can’t find em for sale anymore. I hope I will be making these before summer hits fullly loaded. Right on time. Thanks again.

6. Katherine Plagens says:

I am having trouble deciding what size to make. I am not used to going by finished size , but by actual body measurements. Can you please post the sizes that way?

I use finished garments because it is more accurate. Standard Sizing today is not accurate, in my opinion, is like believing in the horoscope.

7. Susan Williams says:

Thank you so much for the free pattern. You are very generous with your time, talent and designs. It is not easy or quick to draft new and unique things for us. I appreciate it very much. It’s a wonderful oprtunity for me to try a style I normally wouldn’t try without having to pay for a pattern. Thank you so much.

8. ange says:

The ’30s are my absolute favorite fashion decade! Have been wanting to make this pants in this style for years–thanks so much for the free pattern.

9. Emily Huffmane says:

Would love to see this in smaller sizes for us petite people!

Yes, the pants are petite friendly, if you refer to the sizing I will have to draft a whole new pattern for 1 to size 4.

10. sue says:

is this pattern meant to be short i printed out the pdf and i’m 5ft6″ and they are 3/4 pants on me is that right?

11. Fatcatanna says:

I cant wait to download this onto my laptop (I’m on my mobile having a cuppa tea while my mind goes thru the fabric stash I have. I have a friend who will love these too if I make her up a pair.

12. Tina says:

Thanks a lot for another great pattern!
    What is the difference between palazzo and culotte besides the length?

Hi Tina, that is the only difference, except the tyles. Some palazzos can be so wide you might not be able to differentiate it from a maxi dress. Cullotes can fall at the knee, below the knee or mid-calf may or may not be very wide.

13. Jennifer says:

Hi, I’ve just checked again and I think there was something else in my cart that was causing the charges. Sorry for the bother and thank you for the beautiful pattern!

14. Mary Seyman says:

Thank you so much!!
    When I save this download it printed out a materials list for a place mat clutch bag. Is it supposed to do that?

I made a mistake when naming the list. if I change it Craftsy will send everyone an email saying “The pattern has been updated”, then people will ask what changed and I will have to send an email saying it was only the name of the materials list. I do hate sending too many emails unless it really is important in this case it is not. Just know the name of the materials is incorrect (my apologies) but the materials are correct.

15. Jeanne Gold says:

Thank you for the lovely pattern. I’ve been looking for Palazzo pants for quite some time.

FYI: you may want to correct an error on page 3, “Materials for Your Placemat Clutch Bag” to a reference to the pants instead.

16. Barbara Arnold says:

Hi. I am new to Sew-so-easy. I tried downloading the wide leg pants and received an error that said page unavailable. I tried both internet explorer and chrome. Any suggestiond

HI Barbara, that is not normal. Perhaps try a little later, make sure you do not have a window blocker on your browser.

17. Jacki Prettyman says:

Sandy, try using a knit with a vertical stripe so that it makes you visually taller and slimmer. That’s my favorite trick since I’m not very tall. And make sure you don’t use a fabric with a border along the bottom.

• Sarah Martin says:

Jacki Pratman, I was just wondering why you said not to use a border print? Is it because if you’re short it will not help with the “elongation” look. I had a cute border print picked out for these, but I’m only 5′ 2″.

18. Yvette says:

Hi Mayra, Thanks for the heads up on woven fabric. Maybe I will practice first with muslin☺, but I will definitely make them in a knit. Thanks again.

You are welcome Yvette, let me know how you go with the pants if you need help just send me an email.

• Bonnie says:

My daughter and I are going to try this lovely pattern tomorrow but weare not very experienced using knits. I read that stretch thread is necessary but I didn’t see where you mentioned it. I thought we might use the stretch stitch on our machine along with polyester thread. What are your thoughts on thread and stitch settings? Thanks sooo much!

19. Marcia Gault says:

So frustrated. Try to download the instructions and it always stops at 5 sec to go. Why?

20. Colleen says:

For sure I would like to try making these…a bit nervous sewing with stretchy material. I will need to find a proper machine needle. EEEeeek. For one I am very new to sewing but I do know I love this style of pants. I really appreciate your offering us this pattern, I could absolutely use this pattern in a cotton material method as well…would be sooooo comfy. Maybe one day you can show us that as well . This is very exciting for me
    Colleen

HI Collen, love our enthusiasm. Don’t worry too much about whether you can use a stretchy material. The most important thing about working with knits is to cut the pattern properly, paying special attention to the grainline. Use an inexpensive fabric but of a similar weight of the one you are planning to wear so you can practice, then you can move to a better quality and more expensive fabric.

21. Susan MacGregor says:

Love Palazzo style pants. What is the current inseam length for these pants? Being tall 5’10” I usually have to lengthen my pants, dresses and skirts (as well as sleeves). Is it Tuesday yet? Look forward to updates with regards to lengthening these pants. And they have pockets!!

22. Carol says:

I have a pair of store-bought palozzio pants and love them.
    I have asked before but never got a reply. In your finished garment measurements, you show a size 6 having 52” hips. That can’t be right. Could you explain? I don’t understand.

Hi Carol, yes I remember your question and it is not a simple explanation. The measurement is large you might think but I am using my designer license. I know the conventional patternmaking rule tells you the easy should be 6″ and no more. Sais who? I take into consideration, body shape, fabric, and when I talk about the fabric I mean texture, weave, stretch percentage and how it drapes. Notice I never mention “make this pants in poplin”. I wouldn’t use any other fabric apart from the ones I mentioned. The key to any design is to know your body. These pants look good if you know how to wear them.

23. Sandi King says:

Not quite sure on the waistband. 2 1/4 inches shorter than the waist. If it’s stretch material, I could maybe stretch it that much, but cotton or linen fabrics, I am just not sure. Just a little confused on that direction.

Hi, Sandy, you need to use fabric with stretch only. This patter is not suitable for woven fabrics if you are not an advanced sewer, know how to fit a pattern to your body and know how to sew an invisible zipper.

• Carla M Edwards says:

Not an advanced sewer so how would I modify this pattern for cotton fabrics? I certainly can put in a zipper. Just add ease around the waist and hips? I can do that also. I will have to modify the pattern anyway because I’m larger than a Size 20.

Or do you have a pattern for woven, not stretch, pants similar to these Palazzo Pants?

Thanks.

Hi Carla, I really wouldn’t recommend using cotton on this pants if you do not know how to adapt a pattern to your body. For me to be accurate and really helpful to you I would have to make a video explaining how to do just that.

24. Cynthia says:

Thank you so much!! I love this and I just need fabric now. I am so very greatful!
    Fyi when I printed it out it gave me a materials list for a placemat clutch bag. Is it supposed to do that?

No I am not sure why is that (strange), the material list is very simple, please check it above.

• Jessica says:

I noticed that as well but it looks like the materials list is correct. The name is just the only thing incorrect.

Materials For Your Placemat Clutch Bag
         2 to 2.5 yards of 60″ jacquard knit, double knit, bamboo or linen/cotton knit
         A jersey or ballpoint needle
         Thread to match
         Tools
         Sharp scissors or Rotary cutter
         Pins
         Sewing machine with zigzag stitching
         An overlocker is ideal but not essential
        (copied from pdf)

25. Jane says:

They look lovely – just wondering about sizing, I’ve not come across the term ‘high hip’ before. Where would I measure for that? And how much ease should I allow on the actual hip measurement?
    Thanks

Place the tape exactly around your belly button, allow around 6″ of easy per leg, you want them flowy and drapey so they move as you move.

26. Jenenifer says:

Why are there marketplace charges when you are generously giving us a free pattern?

27. Wynn says:

I don’t know if I’m game enough to try a pdf. I’m worried about the fit, too, seeing as I’m short & plump. But you’re right about this being a fashionable style. It seems right on style. So are you in Melb or Syd? A Melb person who loved to wear a lot of colour but had a high powered job said to me once: “if you don’t wear black, when you’re in business, then no one will take you seriously!!” Sad but true.

HI Wynn, sad but true. However, there are colors like aubergine, deep red, moss green that can give you an equal punch to your outfit. If you are already in a high power job people would know you and know you are capable of delivering success. Start training them to see you in a different color perhaps on days when you do not need to meet a client or on Fridays.
      To answer your questions I am currently in Santiago, Chile. Never been here before so I am loving it!

28. sue says:

i printed the pattern and looking at it put together the pattern looks like these pants are very short 29” long is that right?

HI Sue, remember you still have to add the waistband. I will follow this up with a way to elongate them it is not hard to do. Check back on Tuesday, the post will be up by then.

29. Lisa says:

I am a bit confused on the sizing since these are finished measurements, I am not sure how much the ease is supposed to be. Is the high hip measurement where it fits snugly at the band?
    Thanks for another wonderful pattern.

Hi Lisa, notice these pants do not have a zipper, therefore the band needs to fit you snugly yes but not too tight that it makes a mark. This pats should fall smoothly around your hips.

30. JudiC says:

Oh the memories of the late 1970s traveling to Europe in my favorite wide leg pants 🙂 I agree they were very comfortable. Thanks sew much for the pattern, I may actually attempt to make a pair.
    (I stopped sewing clothing many years ago).
    I have to ask where did you get those shoes? Absolutely love those.

31. Kathleen Kingsbury says:

Hi – Thank you for sharing this pattern. The pants look like a nice alternative to my current loungewear (flannel pants . . . not good in the summer!). I am familiar with clothing construction, but I’m unclear at step four regarding attaching the waistband. Is it a folded over casing for the elastic? And you mention to find a wide elastic. How wide would you suggest and what type of elastic? Thank you again and I look forward to your response.

HI, Katheleen, I will elaborate on that, you are right this step is not clear, give 30inutes and I will load more drawings. Thank you for your comment.

32. Laura says:

Love them! I have eczema all over my legs, which means I cant wear jeans anymore, so this proyect is perfect for me! Thank you!

You are welcome Laura, I feel for you when I eat gluten and lactose I get eczema in my face arms and top of my legs. Very uncomfortable, i had to give up my favorite thing in the world to eat which is bread 🙁

33. Neenee says:

I really like this. I once owned a pair made from denim and always had complements when I wore them. Thank you for this pattern and instructions.

34. Caroline P says:

Lovely style! Isn’t it great to have a couple of pairs of easy-to-make pants that are comfy too? Thanks for sharing the pattern…

35. Yvette Lawrence says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was so hoping that you would do a tutorial on palazzo pants. I can’t to cut these out and sew them. In linen, these will be perfect for hot summer nights in Las Vegas, NV. Thanks again.

Hi Ivette, although these pants are cut for knits, you can use a woven fabric however you will need to use a larger size that you use and add a zipper. You will also need to know how to fit pants. This would make an advanced project. make sure you know what you are doing to avoid disappointments.

36. Andrea G says:

Hi Mayra! Love these pants, I was wearing something store-bought but very similar yesterday and wondering how come I hadn’t sewn a pair myself yet. And today, here you pop up with these! Add mind reading to your resumé!

Just wanted to ask about the last part of step one, the topstitching, which looks to me like it should move up to swap places with the sub-step immediately before it, so you topstitch before adding the back of the pocket. Right?

Have fun in your travels!

Andrea

Ah yes! glad you caught that, I will review the drawings, give half an hour to get the steps sorted. Thank you for taking the time to comment overwise I don’t notice.

37. Sandy says:

I’ve also seen some women wearing these. They looked great but those ladies were already tall and thin. Ant ideas how (and if) these can work on short, apple shaped women?

HI Sandy, this is a great question. I am not tall 5’1″. But this is my way of making the illusion I am tall nor am I thin. I think the trick is how you assemble the outfit together. I will answer your question the best way I know how and it is to place a bunch of pictures together. So you can decide how you can wear this pants. Will collect the outfits and post as soon as I can.

38. Julie says:

I remember this look from the 70s have always loved it thank you thank you

39. Kathleen L says:

Thanks so much for the pattern! I’m looking forward to making these!

40. Pam Gibson says:

Love it, love it, love it. I was hoping you’d do something like this. I’ve seen many women wearing pants like this and they so seem to have a slimming effect. I’m going to give it a try. Thanks for another wonderful pattern.