I’ve been following the Pants Fitting Techniques course with Craftsy. As a new sewer, I have a lot of trouble with fit and pants must be the ultimate fitting problem – hence the course. Here are my first two attempts:
For this third attempt, I tried to vary the back length because I found that if I lifted up the back center waistband, a lot of the excess fabric in the back leg seemed to disappear.
- I removed 1/2 inch from the top center of the back waist, tapering to nil at the side seams.
- Then I scooped out the back crotch curve 1/2 inch to make it more of a U shape than an oval to compensate for removing length at the top.
- I cut in the center at the princess seam from the backside drop off to the rear knee.
- I added 1/2 inch height at the front to bring the waist higher.
- I removed a small amount at the center back to make the waist a little smaller and make the pants fit a little higher at the waist instead of just under.
A lot of the diagonal folds have disappeared.
Everything is still hanging straight where it should be.
The back leg is still fairly loose but smoother than the other versions.
Walking, sitting and moving about is comfortable.
I also completed the trousers with the top stitching, zip, waistband as good practice for the real fabric. Clearly I need some practice at putting in a zip….
For now I am satisfied that this is good for me. Maybe in the future I might make another attempt, watch the videos again, start from a fresh pattern piece and see how it comes out. But now I am keen to make these up in a suitable fabric. There doesn’t seem to be anything in my stash that will work, and my local fabric shop has limited affordable options, so I’m ordering something from overseas.
I’ve ordered a faux suede, a cotton twill, and a linen twill. I don’t know a lot about fabrics so I hope these will work out.
And now I wait……
I’ve come a long way in a short time thanks to the Pants Fitting Techniques course and all the helpful suggestions from fellow students and other Craftsy members. And I never gave up trying which has previously been my problem when I didn’t know how to make corrections to poor fitting. I’ve learned that making small adjustments can make a big difference and will use the techniques I’ve learned in a lot of other projects I’m sure.
If you want to find out more about the course, this banner will take you right there.