I'm so excited to be here today! It's so fun to sew for the holidays! My name is Heather and nickname Heather Feather. I blog about my creative “flights” over at Feathers Flights. I have a two year old son, a baby girl on the way, and am married to a man in law school .
I love sewing and decided to make a holiday activity for my son to give him something fun to do as I get busier with holidays. I came up with a felt gingerbread house that he can put felt candy on. It teaches him shapes, and I don't have to worry about him eating tons of candy!
I set up the house to for pictures, and my son couldn't wait to play with it! You can see his hand sneaking in!
Would you like to make your own?
Check Out Our Free Sewing Videos
Felt in multiple colors
1. Cut out and assemble pieces of candy. I stuck to circles, squares, and a rectangle. I wanted simple shapes for my son, but you can make whatever shapes you want. I cut out stripes and sewed them onto each shape with a machine. Feel free to hand stitch if you love it!
2. Cut out the front and back of the house and two rectangles for the sides. My sides go up and become the roof also. Cut out pieces of interfacing in the same shapes and interface each piece.
3. Place the finished candy on the house pieces and trace the shapes.
4. Add any decorative lines you want.
5. Sew ricrac onto all the drawn lines. It is a little tricky to do corners, but the ricrac has some give to play with.
6. Assemble the house. The interfacing should make the house sturdy enough to stand on its own. Trim corners if needed.
Turn the house right side out and let your little ones enjoy it! My felt candy sticks pretty well to my house, but I might go back and add velcro just to lessen an frustration for my son. My son LOVES this house and placing the pieces on. I don't even think he realizes its supposed to be candy!
Thanks so much for having me, Deby! I had so much fun making a fun holiday activity for my son! For more children's Christmas ideas, check out Ugly Sweater One-Piece for Baby and Christmas Tree Stacker.