- 4 yards of thick outdoors 100% cotton canvas, marine canvas, or upholstery fabric 60″ wide
- 2 old bed sheets or 4 yards of cotton fabric 60″ wide
- 1/2 yard of oilcloth
- 10 yards of 2″ bias tape, or canvas tape 1″wide
- 1 nylon zipper 14″ in length
- 3 nylon zippers 18″ in length
- 4 rings 1″ in diameter
Disclaimer: The following procedure applies for fabric that is 60″ wide only. If you are using a narrower fabric or decide to make the blanket smaller, you need to work out how much fabric you will need.
Please note that many of the drawings and diagrams below are not to scale and for illustrative purposes only. Please follow the instructions.
Cutting out the Canvas Pieces for Your Ultimate Beach Blanket
Cut two rectangles of canvas fabric 72″ length x 60″ wide.
Take one rectangle and cut it lengthwise to form two rectangles of 72″ x 30″.
Cut a strip 5″ wide from both rectangles.
Cutting the Bed Sheets
Cut two rectangles of bed sheet fabric 72″ length x 60″ wide and 72″ length x 40″ wide. You will still need some of this fabric for later steps so keep the remainder handy.
Cut two rectangles of 100% fabric 72″ x 20″.