You know that I love to design sewing patterns, and I usually then upload them to Craftsy so you can all download the pattern for free to use along with the instructions that I post on the site here. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes to make that happen.
My latest pattern, the Wrap Dress, was nearly a full weeks work. From the design stages, through pattern grading, drawing the pattern and scanning it, adjusting the pattern, making up 2 or 3 tests and then a final dress, taking step by step photos along the way, getting my husband to take photos of the finished dress and writing the instructions and the post, then uploading and publicising the pattern. Pretty much a solid 6 days work.
My husband questioned why I did all this for free. Where else would I work for free for 6 days, spend out money on my materials, to then give away what I had made? He's right of course, but I do it because I love it, and I love to get all the comments and thanks from you all.
However, the outrageous cost of living isn't getting any easier here and if I could make a little extra from some pattern sales, that would be very welcome. So while I will still work on free patterns and tutorials for you, I am also working on a range of patterns for sale. It will take me a while to build up what you might call ‘a range of patterns' because of the days of work it takes to get to the final product -but today I am releasing my first one.
Introducing THE BOXY BAG PATTERN.
This great little bag is perfect for:
- Taking your lunch to work
- Taking a few things to the beach, a book, sun cream, phone etc
- A cosmetics bag
- A travel bag – padded to keep things safe while traveling
- A toiletries bag for the bathroom or a weekend away
- A camera bag or for carrying your Kindle etc
- A lunch bag for the kids to take to school
- A mini cooler bag – line it with an insulated lining
- A hobby bag – carry your paints, knitting, crafting tools with you
- and lots more uses
Check Out Our Free Sewing Videos
The approximate finished measurements are:
- Length -7.5 inches
- Width – 4.5 inches
- Height – 5 inches
4.7 out of 5-Star Rating on Craftsy
This bag has been reviewed numerous times on Craftsy and currently has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating. There are many, many examples of projects made by other readers so you can see how your project will likely turn out.
And watch the tutorial video:
Fabric Suggestions from Fabric.com
Get the Boxy Bag Pattern
You can buy the pattern from my account on Craftsy. It then is kept safely in your pattern library until you are ready to sew, then you can download and print it at any time.
So, what's next?
It pretty much makes sense to me that the patterns that will sell the best are the ones that are most in demand, and at the right price. Therefore, I'm really interested to know from you:
- what sort of patterns would you buy?
- what sort of patterns would you ideally like to see?
- should all patterns be the same price, and what price range?
- must a ‘for sale' pattern be digitally drawn or is hand drawn acceptable like my current range of free patterns?
- any other comments and suggestions?
Do leave me a comment below. I'm interested to know what you think and your input will help me develop my pattern range and my business.