I'm delighted at last to let you in on something I've been working on for a couple of months now. Several members of the pattern testing team and on the sewing chat group have suggested I should bring you a new pattern and arrange a ‘sew-along' for it.
Have you taken part in a sew-along before? It's a first time for me. Starting on Sunday next week, I'll be launching the Conference Tote Bag pattern, a bag I designed to take to Sewing Holiday with me that could take my notebook for all the new sewing tips I was going to learn (and carry all my sewing goodies).
The Sew-Along will last for 10 days, with new lessons being released each day, comprising the pattern, materials list, tips on interfacing and then step by step sewing instructions each day with photos and a video.
It's been a TON of work to put together, but I've enjoyed it and I hope you will too.
All throughout we'll be sharing what we make at each stage, showing off our fabric choices, asking questions and sharing advice over in the Sewing Chat Group and I am really looking forward to it so much. I want to see what fabrics you'll be using, ask us if you aren't sure which combo works best, and following along with your progress each day until we all share our finished bags there at the end. So if you aren't already a member, come and join us now.
I explain all about it here
If you want to start getting prepared ahead of time, here are all the things you'll need.
- 1 yard of your ‘featured fabric' (more if you have a large scale print to center)
- 3/4 yard total for the contrast and lining fabric
- 1 x 14 inch zipper
- 1 x 8 inch zipper or longer
- 1/2 yard of 1/4 inch wide elastic
- 4 x 1.25 inch rectangle rings
- 1.75 yards Interfacing such as Shape Flex 101
- 1/2 yard low loft Fusible Fleece
- 1 yard Stabiliser such as a foam for bags (Soft & Stable, Bosal, Pellon FF-77, headliner, etc) or you can substitute with interfacing teamed up with fusible fleece
- Threads to match
- Optional – 4 bag feet
- Optional – plastic canvas or foam board for the base of the bag
- Cutting mat, quilting ruler and rotary cutter
- Fabric markers such as these Frixion Pens
- Optional – 2 inches of Wonder Tape
- Optional – Wonder Clips