Since I last shared a post here at So Sew Easy, I had a baby girl! With my toddler son running around too, it's safe to say sleep is a rarity in our house. The sleep mask I have is too small and lets light in around the edges, defeating the purpose entirely. Today I'm sharing a simple pattern for an over-sized sleep mask – perfect to block the world out for a quick nap or while traveling!
- 15″ of fold over elastic (FOE)
- 1/4 yd or scrap of Woven cotton
- 1/4 yd or scrap of Satin
How To Download Your Simple Oversized Sleep Mask PDF Pattern
We're going to continue to use the new PayHip Webstore to distribute our patterns. As most readers know, Craftsy (Bluprint now) is changing a lot and they have stopped designers like us from publishing new patterns on their site, so we've had to move to another service.
Our patterns are still free, but now you now have the option of making a small contribution if you like our work! We'd really appreciate it and it will help is keep going with new and fun designs like this. Even a dollar or two really goes a long way.
Thanks so much in advance for helping us out. You can use any credit card and you don't need a PayPal account, although you can use one if you have one.
1. Cut 1 pattern piece from satin and one from your woven cotton. Baste your FOE right sides together (RST), centered on one short end. Place on your face and stretch the FOE around, checking that you like the placement and length before trimming and basting the other side. I preferred a tighter fit, with 13″ of FOE, and placed the bottom edge of the FOE about 2.5″ up from the bottom of the pattern.
2. Place the woven main piece RST with the satin piece, making sure the FOE band is tucked inside neatly. Sew around the edges with 3/8″ seam allowance, leaving a 2″ gap at the top for turning.
3. Trim your seam allowance down to 1/8″, except over where your gap was left. If you really want it to press nicely, you can cut tiny triangles out of the concave curves and tiny slits in the convex curve where your nose goes.
4. Pull the mask right side out through the gap you left and press well, tucking the seam allowances down into the opening. Topstitch 1/4″ from the edge all the way around, taking care to not stitch through your FOE! Ta-da. You can shut the world out in style now.
The super soft satin side feels like a luxury, as does sleep at any time right now!