The boho chic belt with a secret pocket is not an entirely new concept. The first time I saw this belt was on a model's waist in a swanky dance club in Philadelphia, but that was eons and eons ago. At that time, I admired with marvel how she produced money to pay for drinks from somewhere way inside her waist. While waiting for the drinks, lip gloss and chewing gum made it out of there somehow as well. To me it looked like a Swiss army knife made out of cloth! I looked closer and saw a bunch of keys hanging from the belt. I asked her what do they open? “Nothing, nothing at all!” she said rather mysteriously..
Fast forward a couple of decades later, the boho chic belt trend is back. This time though, you are supposed to hang all sort of trinkets around the belt. So in case you feel lazy, or you are going somewhere where a purse is a hassle to carry, this version has a pocket large enough for a thin wallet or your mobile phone. And of course there's a place to hang my measuring tape..
Check Out Our Free Sewing Videos
We've done a few articles recently about the boho chic fashion trend, so if you're wondering So What is Boho Chic Anyway?, please have a read here. We also published a Boho Chic Tunic that would look rather nice with this belt. Please check it out!
Key Features of the Boho Chic Belt:
- Secret pocket at the back
- Easy to make
- Excellent alternative to a purse
- Casual yet elegant, fashionable yet practical
- one rectangle of fabric the size of your waist by 5 1/4″ (main fabric)
- one rectangle of fabric the size of your waist by 5 1/4″ (contrasting fabric)
- two rectangles the size of your waist by 3 1/4″ (contrasting fabric)
- grommets 3/8″
- very stiff interfacing, I am using Stitch and Sew, Buckram or Pellon are excellent alternatives.
- leather strip cord or decorative cord 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yards according to our waist measurements (29- 40) , (to go around the waist twice) or just one yard to lace in front.
- one 7″ invisible zipper
- lobster claw for hanging your trinkets
- sprayable glue (optional)
- thin interfacing (optional)
You can find the options for sourcing all the required materials at very competitive prices in the So Sew Easy Store.
- invisible zipper foot
- grommet pliers
- sewing machine
- grading or quilting ruler