It's time for a wardrobe basic and a shirt you'll want to sew time and time again. Out with the ball gowns, and in with the real clothes for real women! This is one where you can sew what you actually wear everyday. The free sewing pattern for this month is the On a Roll T-Shirt.
- 3 sleeve lengths
- No difficult to sew neck bindings
- No darts or zippers
- Roll-over wide neck
- Easy to fit to your shape
- Range of sizes, from 31 to 46 inch bust
- Versatile – cosy and casual for the daytime, or make it slinky and draping for a night out
- Full sewing instructions are downloaded with the pattern pieces
- Video tutorial too!
Apologies for the wrinkly looking photos! My regular hubby/photographer was unavailable so the self-timer had to do. And it didn't tell me to pull my t-shirt straight..
Beginner. The instructions for this t-shirt include instructions on picking stitches and finishes for use with knit fabrics. There are no complicated darts or zippers and the wide roll neck makes it easy to get a good finish. There is a tutorial video which will take you through everything.
Where can you get the On a Roll T-Shirt pattern ?
Can I see some more pics before I decide if it's for me?
Of course you can. I made one in a solid color medium-weight cotton jersey, and another in a lighter-weight softer print. The solid jersey one has a more defined collar in the thicker fabric, the thinner fabric gives a softer look. I think both look great!
Choosing your fabrics
You'll need a fabric with a moderate stretch. This pattern is so simple that it can accommodate a wide number and variety of stretch fabrics including novelty and sweater knits, but be aware when choosing your fabric that thicker fabrics and those with less stretch may need to be sewn with greater ease and may require you to go up a size. It looks good in both prints and solids.
Making up your pattern
See the downloadable instructions for details on how to print and piece together your pattern, and cut your fabric. Your pattern has a front, back, sleeves and a neck roll piece. If you need help downloading or opening/printing your pattern, please read the article on How to Download and Print my Sewing Patterns.
What sizes are available?
Available for 31 to 46 inch bust. Please use the sizing table in the instructions as a guide only as although our body measurements may be similar, different body shapes may require fitting differently.
I highly recommend the Sewing with Knits class if you want to learn more about how to get great results sewing with knit and stretch fabrics. So Sew Easy readers get an exclusive 20% off discount!
On a Roll T-shirt Sewing Instructions
Seam allowances – 1/2 an inch (1.25cm) throughout unless mentioned.
Abbreviations used: RST – right sides together.
Note on finishing seams – seams should be finished as you sew. Use your favorite method or see the suggestions in the full instructions download.
These are abbreviated instructions and small photos for the blog only. The pattern download includes more detailed instructions to help you step by step along the way to a great finished On a Roll T-shirt. This is just a quick overview.
- Join shoulder seams, RST. Use stay tape or clear elastic to stabilize shoulders if you like – optional.
- Find center of sleeve and match to shoulder seam, RST. Pin then stitch the sleeve to the arm hole opening. Repeat for the other side.
- Pin then stitch the side seam and sleeve seam, matching seams at the underarm.
- Stitch the neck roll piece RST, on the short end. Turn the right side out.
- Fold neck roll in half length-ways and match raw edges. Find the quarters and mark with pins. Do the same with the shirt neckline edge.
- Match up the quarters of the neck roll with the quarters of the neckline edge, and pin, matching raw edges with RST.
- Ease the two edges to meet, stretching the neckline edge to match the neck roll, pin and then stitch in place.
- Finish sleeves and hem. See this tutorial on using a double needle to hem knits.
- Wear and enjoy!
Is it really that easy?
Absolutely! You can have this t-shirt sewn up in super-quick time. Once you've made one and are confident of the sizing and sewing method, I'm sure you'll be making another in less than an hour from start to finish. Just take a look at the video for an idea of how quickly and easily this will come together.
Thanks for downloading this pattern. I'd love to see what you sew, so please upload your completed projects to the pattern page on Craftsy.
Watch out for the next pattern coming soon to the So Sew Easy Pattern Store. I know you are going to love it!
Trouble downloading the pattern?
If you need help downloading or opening/printing your pattern, please read the article on How to Download and Print my Sewing Patterns.
Authored by: Deby at So Sew Easy