Welcome to Episode 11 in the How to Sew A Skirt Sew-along series. The subject for today is: Finishing your skirt and the Sew A Skirt Tutorial Series roundup
We are on the final small step – your skirt is very nearly finished. If this is the first time you have sewn something for yourself, or sewn at all, then I am sure you must be very proud of your work. Congratulations and well done for coming such a long way.
Check Out Our Free Sewing Videos
Finishing your skirt
There is very little still left to do. It will only take us a few minutes.
- Try on the skirt and take a look at the lining. You want your lining hemmed up neatly out of the way so that it won't show below the outer hemline when you wear the skirt.
- Mark with a pin how much you need to take up. Use your handy sliding seam gauge to mark up 1/4 inch all the way round, turn and press.
- Then turn up again to your marked hemline. Pin in place.
- Sew with a regular straight stitch.
- Now press your lining hemline.
- Look over the rest of the skirt, snip any loose threads and give it a final press.
- Now model your skirt for the admiring world to see and take some pictures to send me!
How did your skirt come out? I'm delighted with mine, even though I already have two the same, by making it in a different fabric, it feels like a totally different skirt, yet still with a great fit.
Step by step recap
The final step by step for how to draft and sew this skirt, with all the links now in one place:
- Chose your fabric and get your tools ready – Overview, tools and equipment and choosing your fabric
- Measure yourself and draw up your pattern using the tutorial and spreadsheet – Drafting your custom fit pattern, and all about ease and seam allowances
- Cut our your fabric – Cutting your fabric and pattern matching
- Mark your darts – Marking darts perfectly
- Sew the darts – Sewing darts perfectly
- Looking at the different zipper feet
- Sew in your invisible zipper and sew up the side seams – Inserting an invisible zipper
- Neaten your seams, cut out your lining and add it at the waist of the skirt – First steps for adding a skirt lining
- Sew the lining to the zipper tape and finish inside – Lining a skirt by machine
- Sew up the hemline on your skirt – Hemming the skirt
- Sew up the hemline on your lining – Finishing and round up
I really hope you have enjoyed the Sew A Skirt Tutorial Series, and have learned some new sewing tips along the way. I'm always keen to feature readers projects and photos, so if you have a blog, do send me a link. Or if you just like to sew and don't have a blog, do send me some photos and I'll be happy to feature them in a readers skirts roundups. I think it will be so much fun to see the fabric everyone chooses.
If you want to learn more about sewing, these are a few books I can recommend to get your started.
Authored by: Deby at So Sew Easy